Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » Remove unused languages
Re: Remove unused languages [message #41628 is a reply to message #41624] Mon, 06 January 2014 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
crydev is currently offline  crydev
Experienced Member
I did some basic calculations, based on the information I found in the disassembler and what I found in files: Core.t and LangInfo.cpp.

The image below shows a few example strings. They are located in Core.t and I assume they are translations for an error or information message in multiple languages. However, in the disassembler you can see that they are all compiled into the executable. I did not measure this, but an educated guess on Core.t, which is 44 kb (~ 40 kb with margins of non-trivial information) is linked into the executable. If just the english translations are linked into the executable, the size could be reduced by roughly: average string length divided by the number of languages built into U++.

index.php?t=getfile&id=4398&private=0

The image below shows the language array in LangInfo.cpp. The big rectangle shows the strings that are linked, which are a hell of a lot and they shouldn't be necessary.

The small rectangle shows the fact that some strings even indicate only very small differences. The compilation loaded into IDA Pro is built in VC10 Optimal with String Pooling enabled. Even if these strings could not be eliminated, it would be nice if they could be concatenated in order to remove the redundancy that is generated.

index.php?t=getfile&id=4399&private=0

If you need any more information, please tell me. Smile

Regards,
crydev

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How to detect available OpenGL memory?
Next Topic: HelloWorld example fails building
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 21:45:04 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02292 seconds