Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Should the pick semantics be changed?
Re: Should the pick semantics be changed? [message #42291 is a reply to message #42280] Wed, 05 March 2014 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
piotr5 wrote on Tue, 04 March 2014 17:14

have you tried
struct Bar {
int foo;
Vector<int> bar;
Bar(Bar&&)=default;
};
?

Aah, I have to admit I have missed this one...

10 years ago I was discussing && with its original author (Howard Hinnant) over usenet ( http://www.archivum.info/comp.lang.c++.moderated/2005-08/007 08/Re-Rvalue-references--a-done-deal.html) and at that time, the sentiment was against providing this. I am glad it got through in the end.

Well, in this case I believe && could really replace pick_ soon. I will be really be only glad for this to happen... It will be safer and more in accord with C++ mainstream.

But I still believe it is a good idea to keep "pick" behaviour as default (regardless it is implemented as && or ugly pick_ macro) and operator<<= for deep copy. Also, I found over years extremely useful to maintain the source in picked state (not to clear it, as is AFAIK common for C++11 usage).

The only issue I can see now is that for pick types, you have to define twice as much constructors and operator= to keep the current behaviour, you need

T(&)
T(&&)
operator=(&)
operator=(&&)

But that is only a small price to pay...

The other bad thing is that I unfortunately still have to support the "old" C++ now... Sad

That said, it would perhaps be possible to have U++ "dual-mode", using move constructors with C++11 and pick_ with old C++.

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message