Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Changing the pick semantics notation  () 1 Vote
icon4.gif  Changing the pick semantics notation [message #42331] Fri, 07 March 2014 19:01 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member

New pick notation[ 12 votes ]
1. I support this 12 / 100%
2. I do not like this 0 / 0%
3. I do not care 0 / 0%

For 12+ years, '=' for pick-types meant 'pick' (destroying source), with implementation that relies on

#define pick_ const

to make it usable for function return values. <<= and T(const T&, int) were used to provide optional 'deep copy' values.

This served well, but it was not really optimal and might have scared some at first. And while in practice much less error-prone that it might look, there was still chance of occasional errors.

Meanwhile, we got C++11 with its rvalues. It would really be nice to replace pick_ with &&. But things are not that simple, OTOH they provide chances for improving things even more.

One thing is clear: we still do not want containers to have implicit deep copy (like STL has).

Now, after a day of experimenting I would like to present/propose new pick notation:

'=' alone is now disallowed for pick-types. Instead, we will write:

a = pick(b); // pick copy

or

a = clone(b); // deep copy

(except when we are assigning temporary value - then by the logic it is clear that we want 'pick').

operator<<= is thus deprecated and deep copy constructor can be written as

A a = clone(b)

When compiling with C++11, this notation becomes enforced.

When compiling with C++03, old things still work without a change and this new notation is optional.

I have already completely changed U++ to support new notation and C++11 compilation (to the point of compiling theide). This is committed in upp/branches/cpp11.

Please comment and/or vote on this change...

[Updated on: Fri, 07 March 2014 19:02]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Google Summer of Code 2014
Next Topic: D lang support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:30:15 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01179 seconds