Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » Uppweb 2.0
Uppweb 2.0 [message #42772] Wed, 02 April 2014 23:25 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone...

About a year ago, I briefly played with an idea of uppweb (the app that currently generates this website) based on Skylark. Back then, I implemented most of it but didn't have enough time to finish it. Today I remembered and decided to give it last few touches to make it publishable Smile

It is still just a proof of concept, showing what can Skylark do. And it can do a lot Wink The basic idea is the same as with the old uppweb, web pages are generated from T++ documents. The difference is that in the new version it is done in real-time, while the old one was generating static html files which were served by average Apache server. Generating html on the fly might seem slow, but it brings couple nice features, like having the updated documentation available online much sooner, or only creating pages that are actually visited by someone.

On a decent hardware, the new uppweb can serve the pages fast enough so you won't see any difference. I have also added a package providing simple LRU cache for the served content, to speed up things a little. It is actually pretty generic and could be used also in any other skylark app (but beware: there might by MT issues, synchronization is currently missing - but should be easy to add). And if that wasn't enough, one can always use a caching proxy Smile

Also, there are few more features that I was missing with the old uppweb:
- The urls are nicer: /topic/ide/app/GettingStarted vs. /app$ide$GettingStarted$en-us.html
- The internationalization is cookie based, so you won't get to back to English every time you navigate out of the translated part of the website.
- The code should be slightly simpler and easier to modify.
- The website look is now witz a template, so it should be easier to work with.

I attach a zip archive with two packages (to by placed in your MyApps directory) and a small patch that must be applied to Skylark. It should be easy to get it to work, you'll only need to change srcdir in uppweb/Main.cpp (line 12) to point to trunk of upp repository.

Let me know what you think... If there is enough interest, I might even try to finish it Smile There is a lot of code that was directly copied from the old uppweb and that should be refactored, some backward compatibility should be added and probably few more little tasks would have to be done. But it might be worth the work, it would be good advertisement for U++ if the site was served by Skylark Wink

Best regards,
Honza
  • Attachment: uppweb.zip
    (Size: 30.25KB, Downloaded 394 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message