Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Latest TheIDE builds fail to execute under FreeBSD
Re: Latest TheIDE builds fail to execute under FreeBSD [message #43648 is a reply to message #43560] Wed, 17 September 2014 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sender Ghost is currently offline  Sender Ghost
Hello, Pavel.

Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 31 August 2014 22:45
I have rather old version of TheIDE (oct'2013) running under FreeBSD 9.
After updating sources to latest build 7629, I've tried to rebuild TheIDE.
New executable fails to start

The TheIDE uses -O3 optimization level for GCC builder in case of "Optimize for speed" option, which also used for Optimal build mode. In my experience, the -O3 optimization level could cause runtime errors. I think, you could try to build with Size build mode or change -O3 to -O2 for GCC build method.

Currently, I run FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p9 amd64 version. For purpose of testing, I created devel/upp-nightly port, based on devel/upp. It uses Nightly builds source archives, with some development changes (like depending on devel/libexecinfo) from stable version. I created a package with using poudriere on FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p2 amd64 clean environment.

I think, if first method doesn't work, you could try to build devel/upp-nightly port (e.g. by using make or portmaster: portmaster -Bd devel/upp-nightly). It may install necessary dependencies. Also you could try to use already built package, in case of amd64 version (but you might need to install pkg and convert package database to use *.txz package format): pkg add upp-nightly-7697.txz).

If mentioned methods doesn't work, you could try to use newer GCC version (e.g. current default 4.8 version), by adding USE_GCC=yes (USE_GCC=4.8) or changing CC, CXX, etc. values for /etc/make.conf file. You might need to update current ports (e.g. by using portsnap command: portsnap fetch update) to build it (but take a look at /usr/ports/UPDATING file about changes for currently installed software). Remember to comment out USE_GCC line after building of the devel/upp-nightly port, if you don't intend to use newer GCC for building other ports. (Edit (2016.12.09): The method about USE_GCC=yes maybe outdated for latest version of port(s), because of USES+=compiler:c++11-lib usage.)

The other method is updating to FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE version, where LLVM/Clang 3.3 is default compiler (e.g. by using freebsd-update command), but this may require to rebuild/reinstall used software.

(Edit: Previous information may be outdated for newer FreeBSD versions.)

References:
- upp-x11-src-11783.tar.gz source archive from Nightly builds page.
- upp-nightly-11783.tar.bz2 archive from attachments with upp-nightly port for 11783 revision, which contents you may extract to /usr/ports/devel directory.
- upp-nightly-7697.txz package for FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p2 amd64 (for about 30 days after publication date).
- upp-nightly-7697.log with poudriere build log (for about 30 days after publication date).
- GCC48.bm file for GCC 4.8 build method.

Toggle information about previous edits

Edit (2018.02.15): Updated to 11783 revision.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 February 2018 14:40]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Theide problem on lubuntu 16.04 dolik ppa
Next Topic: Man page for theide and umk are not in snapshot tarballs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:43:13 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11436 seconds