Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » LineEdit, EditFields, DocEdit » What do you think about this approach to making CodeEditor more user extendable?
What do you think about this approach to making CodeEditor more user extendable? [message #45606] Tue, 15 December 2015 12:07 Go to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Hi Mirek,

In my project I require a powerful code editor and I'm using CodeEditor. While it is a very powerful class, it is not that easy to add features to it without forking it. And this is what I've done.

But I am thinking about how to make it much more extensible.

Currently, there is an enum describing a bunch of hard-coded languages and a few tables with hard-coded positions.

I'm thinking of an approach where CodeEditor has no hard coded support for languages. Instead of a single value describing the whole language, we replace it with a structure having options and an old language option acts as a particular collection of new boolean options.

I'll give two examples on how this could work.

First, a statement like:
if(highlight == HIGHLIGHT_CSS ? *p == '#' : pair == MAKELONG('0', 'x') || pair == MAKELONG('0', 'X'))

would become:
if(highlight.UseCSSHex ? *p == '#' : pair == MAKELONG('0', 'x') || pair == MAKELONG('0', 'X')) 

We would register the CSS syntax with this option set to true and for other registered syntaxes to false.

Then in CSyntax I added support for #region tags, like in C#. Rather than checking if it is C# or other languages that support #region, one would check highlight.UseRegions. This option would be checked by EditorBar too in order to draw #region outlines, like for #ifdef. I implemented this using a new hardcoded language, but would like a more flexible solution.

One would register a structure with appropriate options set for a language, together with keywords and upp ids.

How does this approach sound? I already have a forked CodeEditor, so I can create an early minimal prototype if you wish.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Lost focus in edit fields
Next Topic: How to do fast Append & scroll in LineEdit with MT?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:02:55 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05783 seconds