Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » What is the highest version of U++ that does not require C++11 ?
Re: What is the highest version of U++ that does not require C++11 ? [message #46861 is a reply to message #46860] Tue, 30 August 2016 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
So, I used the new U++ for only a day in console mode (the GUI projects are not ported yet), and here are my observation:

1. C++ 11x is manageable, but there needs to be a document with common problems and their solutions. My GUI project is still full of copy issues.
2. The new Core is cleaner and better organized. I like it. It is in great shape. Maybe need a bit more work, but it is really minor.
3. The debugger is absolutely bad. It has never been this bad. It totally fails at recursive debugging, messing up the context fully. Strangely, this goes for my old install too, so I guess I never noticed it before.
4. The "automatic setup" now works, but needs some feedback. You click it and nothing happens. I had an install without TDM, manually copied over TDM, clicked automatic setup, TDM was not detected. I had to copy the old *.bm files and restart TheIDE and it worked.
5. MSC14/visual Studio 2015 is still detected as "MSC15". It is not 15. It is 14. MSC15 is the 2016 version that is not fully out yet and has a TBA on the release date. Might be even VS 2017. Easy fix.
6. MSC11 won't compile .rc, but I guess that version isn't maintained anymore.
7. Target file override is no longer stored based on package. This makes TheIDE borderline unusable for me. Every single project has an override for it's resulting .exe and executables can't work outside their "install" folder.

One day is not enough to asses the status, but things are finally looking good. Some of the problems look very solvable to me. I think I can fully migrate to the latest U++ and only have to worry about a couple of forked controls because of bugs.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2016 17:52]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message