Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Possible solution of "icpp problem"
Re: Possible solution of "icpp problem" [message #46854 is a reply to message #46852] Sun, 28 August 2016 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sun, 28 August 2016 13:57
Hi Mirek,

That would be great! It would also make U++ much easier to use without theide. Using other IDEs or makefiles, cmake, etc. would lower the barrier for new users and could allow many more people to adopt U++.

Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 28 August 2016 10:07
First of all, let's think do we really need to keep icpp-compatibility at all. Or it is possible to forget about them once and for all.
I'm definitely for dropping icpp completely, if possible. There are other uses, not only plugin-like stuff (e.g. files with Skylark handlers), but those could be solved in similar way I presume. Could there be a simple utility class for automatic initialization that could be used in all cases, even in user code?

Well, first of all, let us not to forget that the problem we really need to have solved is to force linker to include some .obj files from .lib (or .o from .a ... Smile even if none of symbols is referenced from the rest of the code. What I am proposing is basically putting a dummy call from header to such .obj, just to have it 'activated'.

Could be equivalent of

Gif.h
struct GifInitializer { GicInitializer() { GifInitializerFunction(); } };

static GifInitializer DummyName;

Gif.cpp (former Gif.icpp)
void GifInitializerFunction() {}

INITBLOCK {
  ... register GIF in Draw
}

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message