Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » CoWork::Finish() can wait in a worker thread while there are jobs to do
Re: CoWork::Finish() can wait in a worker thread while there are jobs to do [message #47133 is a reply to message #47131] Fri, 16 December 2016 15:27 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
busiek wrote on Fri, 16 December 2016 12:54
I am working for a real problem. It is very difficult algorithmic problem. After reducing complexity and optimizing all possible bottlenecks the last step is parallelization. There are many dependent chunks. It looks more like DAG of jobs with low branching. Each chunk can be time consuming and because it often happens that I can distinguish just few (often two) parallel local jobs and than move forward to next part, I would loose too much time waiting in Finish(). I had to edit it. I am using Pipe also, it is really helpful. Generally U++ for algorithmic problems is just great.

OK. You might consider:

- maybe you can have single CoWork for the whole problem (but probably not)

- you can also increase the number of threads - then OS thread would be spent waiting in Finish, but not CPU core

Anyway, I am really interested how this goes. How is Pipe working for you? I have created that as sort of experiment, so it is nice to see it used.

Please let me know, after you are done: I expect you to test with 'global' stealing and without; the I shall decide based on results whether it is worth changing things.

Maybe we could allow stealing 'parent' jobs? That would solve the problem, right?

Mirek

[Updated on: Fri, 16 December 2016 15:33]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Index find on complex match
Next Topic: High resolution TimeStop code
Goto Forum: